Candy Barr - Prostitute, Highest Paid Stripper and America's First Pornstar
Candy Barr lived up to the stereotype of Texas women. She had an attractive figure, shapely, firm tits, and an incredibly cute "girl next door" face that was amazingly photogenic. However, what set this stripper pornstar apart from her Lone Star State sisters was her attitude - she was brazen about her sexuality, and it showed in her as a prostitute, and in both stripping career and porn work during an era when both were very, very taboo.
- 1 Candy Barr porn photos
- 2 Candy Barr makes one of the first "blue" movies to get distributed coast to coast
- 3 Candy Barr porn video
- 4 Candy Barr regularly gets in troubles with the law and how she was related to John Kennedy's assassin
- 5 More pics of naked Candy Barr
- 6 This tantalizing Texan turns her notoriety into money, fame, and many, many suitors
- 7 Comments
- 8 All articles of Vintage Pornstars
Candy Barr was born Juanita Dale Slusher in Edna, Texas (USA) on July 6, 1935, to a harmonica-playing bricklayer and a homemaker. Her mother died when she was nine years old. When she was 13, Candy ran away from home and ended up in Dallas (USA), where she worked in a hotel. It was at this point that sex became a major influence in her life when this inexperienced girl started working as a prostitute.
Some reports indicate that she was forced into this line of work. In any event, she then got married at 14 to a professional safe-cracker, but the marriage ended in divorce when he was imprisoned. At this point, this wild woman also began working as a cocktail waitress and exotic dancer to make ends meet.
Candy Barr porn photos:
Candy Barr makes one of the first "blue" movies to get distributed coast to coast
This troublesome vixen then exploded onto the national stage when she appeared in one of the first nationally-distributed pornographic films, titled "Smart Alec" which was released in 1951. You can see Candy and her hairy pussy getting fucked in this sex movie only if you join Vintage Cuties now. Because of the wide distribution of this film, Candy Barr has been referred to as "America's first porn star". Why did she do it? The star herself has given inconsistent reasons. In some narratives she said she was flat broke and needed the money; in other reports this famous burlesque stripper said she was drugged and coerced into it.
Stills from this film appear pretty tame by contemporary porn standards. It just looks like two people fucking in a hotel room. However, a viewer has to put this movie in context. This is the early '50s, and conservative, stodgy Eisenhower America was all the rage. Thus, seeing Candy Barr's very shapely naked figure on screen riding a guy in reverse cowgirl would have sent the country into apoplectic fits. And thank God she was something to look at!
This famous stripper had decent, all natural tits that looked like they were a full C (D [UK, EU, FR/ES]) or D (DD [UK], E [EU, FR/ES]) cup size. Her face was cute and had a "Betty Boop" quality to it. Her most frequent pose was looking at the camera like it surprised her. Her body, however, was stunning. Her measurements were 38-22-36 (97-56-91 cm) on a 5 foot 4 inches (1.63 m), 119 lb (54 kg) frame. Her shapely legs ran right up to a curvaceous, smooth ass. Yummy indeed!
Candy Barr porn video:
Candy Barr regularly gets in troubles with the law and how she was related to John Kennedy's assassin
After the "Smart Alec" (1951) film release, this wild woman began dancing in a "Dallas strip bar" and took the stage name "Candy Barr" (adopted for her profound love of the snack) that would follow her for the rest of her life. She adopted a unique costume that became her trademark - cowboy hat, pasties, scant panties, a pair of pearl handled cap six-shooters in a holster strapped low on her hips, and cowboy boots.
Just how crazy was this lady? Consider this:
- In January 1956, Candy Barr was charged with aggravated assault when she shot her second husband after he kicked in the door of her Dallas apartment. Strangely, her manager asked the sheriff to raise her bail to increase the publicity and sensationalism around the event. The charges were eventually dropped;
- In October 1957, Dallas police raided her apartment, arrested her for possession of an ounce of marijuana, and she received a 15 year prison sentence (she would only serve 3 years and 4 months of this);
- While her marijuana case was on appeal, she danced around the country in various men's clubs, and ended up becoming the girlfriend of notorious gangster Mickey Cohen;
- Candy used her prison time to create poetry that was eventually released under the title "A Gentle Mind - Confused";
- She worked for and ended up friends with Jack Ruby. Remember him? Ruby was the guy who shot and killed John Kennedy's assassin, Lee Harvey Oswald;
- In the '70s, it was rumored Candy Barr had a salacious weekend affair with "Playboy" publisher Hugh Hefner.
More pics of naked Candy Barr:
This tantalizing Texan turns her notoriety into money, fame, and many, many suitors
Candy Barr's fame was so great that she was likely the best-paid stripper in her era, earning over $100,000 a year dancing nationwide. When the incredibly famous actress Joan Collins needed to perform a striptease scene in the 1959 movie "Seven Thieves", producers had her work with Candy to learn how to move just right.
Eventually, this vintage pornstar decided to hang up the adult entertainment career and returned to Texas (USA) to live out the rest of her life. Interestingly, she spent her graying years working in a grocery store in Edina, Texas. Candy Barr's illustrious (or infamous, depending how you look at it) career earned her an award as one of the "Perfect Texans" of all time from "Texas Monthly" magazine. However, she was past the limelight at this point. Despite calls to tell her story, Candy asked "to be left alone" by any media who asked for her audience. She died from pneumonia at the age of 70 in 2006.
By the way, you'll fall in love with these super sexy pornstars:
» Tana Louise - the very First BDSM Pin-Up Model with Such a Dominatrix Look
» Tanya Muriett - 1950s Latina Pinup Girl who Kept Her Nude Modeling Career a Secret
» Tempest Storm - Legendary Burlesque Pin-up Stripper Dated even by Elvis Presley
» Virginia Bell - Vintage Pinup Legend: Giant Breasted Burlesque Dancer & Erotic Movie Star
If you are a measurements junkie, you should be keen to know the progress of Candy's measurements:
- In stag porn film "Smart Alec" (1951) were 37-22-33 (94-56-84 cm);
- During her early striptease dancing career - 38-22-36 (97-56-91 cm);
- When she was arrested for pot possession in October 1957 - 40C-23-36 (102-58-91 cm);
- As an exotic dancer, in early '70s, when she got curvier - 41 ?? D-25-36 ?? (102-64-93 cm).
Candy Barr's work is thoroughly chronicled on this website. Want to see the "Smart Alec" movie? Or check out this horny Texan's hottest, naughtiest pictures? We have it all. If you want to see more of Candy or other trailblazing ladies of adult entertainment, sign up for a Vintage Cuties membership and see history unfold before your eyes.
What do you think about Candy Barr and her tits, sexy body, life, and career? Or maybe you know some new facts on the topic, that could make this article better? We look forward to hearing from you. Scroll down to comment please.